Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Fri September 27, 2013
WI Governor declares closure of bridge a disaster
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Gov. Scott Walker has declared the closure of the Leo Frigo Bridge in Green Bay a disaster.
State transportation officials closed the bridge on Wednesday after a support pier unexpectedly sank 2 feet, causing a deep dip in the pavement. The bridge, which spans the Fox River at the mouth of Green Bay, carries about 40,000 cars a day.
Walker issued an executive order Friday calling the bridge a key commercial link, declaring the closure a disaster and placing Brown County in a state of emergency for 60 days.
The declarations could lead to federal reimbursement for the first 180 days of repair work.
Roads and bridges