Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Mon February 4, 2013
WI DNR creates tribal liaison position
MADISON, WI (AP)-- The state Department of Natural Resources has created a new American Indian tribal liaison position.
Michele Allness will be responsible for coordinating tribal contacts and building relationships with Wisconsin's tribes. Allness has worked for the state Department of Tourism since 2008, most recently as that agency's tribal liaison.
The DNR has been clashing with the state's Chippewa tribes over a number of high-profile issues, including plans for an iron mine near the Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa's reservation, the state's new wolf hunt and the tribes' recent attempt to jump-start night deer hunting.