Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Tue April 23, 2013
U.P. fire departments get funding
ISHPEMING, MI-- The Ishpeming and Ironwood Fire Departments are benefiting from federal grants.
Thanks to FEMA’s Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program Ishpeming will get nearly 58,000, while more than 40,000 is going to the Ironwood Public Safety Department.
The competitive grants fund professional training programs, update equipment and facilities, and provide supplies to help first-responders better handle hazards.
Edward Anderson is Chief of the Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department. He says the department has purchased new air packs with new features that will keep his firefighters safer.