Most Active Stories
Mon November 11, 2013
DNR officials counter claims that bad info led to wolf hunt
LANSING, MI (MPRN)-- Michigan wildlife officials are dismissing claims that bad information led to the state’s upcoming wolf hunt.
Opponents of the hunt are asking Governor Rick Snyder to suspend it based on a recent MLive report. It raised questions about a number of alleged wolf encounters with humans, pets, and livestock in the U.P.
Last week, state Sen. Tom Casperson (R-Escanaba) apologized for using a story that turned out to be false while urging the federal government to remove protections for Michigan wolves.
But the Michigan Department of Natural Resources says none of that changes the fact that wolves are causing problems in the U.P.
“There aren’t other errors that occurred that are material to the hunt,” said DNR spokesperson Ed Golder. “So I would take issue with that characterization from the opponents of the hunt.”
The hunt begins this week in limited pockets of the U.P.
The state will allow up to 43 wolves to be killed through the end of the year.