social media prank

MARQUETTE, MI--   The Marquette County Prosecutor's Office has concluded its case against a 13-year-old girl charged in the hanging death of 11-year-old Tysen Benz of Marquette in March.

Prosecutor Matt Wiese says the case is heartbreaking. He says the girl made immature and irresponsible choices, but he doesn't believe she intended for Tysen to die. She has been placed on a kind of juvenile probation program, under which she must complete certain requirements in order for her record to be expunged.

Wiese released a statement regarding the case Wednesday:

MARQUETTE, MI--   A preliminary hearing was held in Marquette County Probate Court Monday for a 13-year-old girl charged in a social media prank that allegedly prompted a boy to take his own life.

The unnamed girl is charged with malicious use of telecommunication services and using a computer to commit a crime.

Tysen Benz, 11, hung himself in his home on March 14. He was later taken off life support at an Ann Arbor hospital.

MARQUETTE, MI--   A juvenile involved in a social media prank that allegedly prompted an 11-year-old Marquette boy to take his own life has been charged in the incident.

On March 14 the Marquette Police Department was called to a residence on a report of an attempted suicide. They found an 11-year old male unresponsive. The youth was taken to UPHS Marquette, then transferred to the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor, where he died Tuesday as a result of his injuries.

MARQUETTE, MI--   A Marquette mother is speaking out against the dangers of social media after her son died from a suicide attempt last month.

WLUC-TV reports 11-year-old Tysen Benz died Tuesday after being on life support at an Ann Arbor hospital since March 14. Benz’ mother, Katrina Goss, says Benz was the victim of a social media prank, which is currently under investigation by authorities.