Matt Wiese

MARQUETTE, MI--   The Marquette County Prosecutor's Office has concluded its case against a 13-year-old girl charged in the hanging death of 11-year-old Tysen Benz of Marquette in March.

Prosecutor Matt Wiese says the case is heartbreaking. He says the girl made immature and irresponsible choices, but he doesn't believe she intended for Tysen to die. She has been placed on a kind of juvenile probation program, under which she must complete certain requirements in order for her record to be expunged.

Wiese released a statement regarding the case Wednesday:

Elder Abuse

Jun 15, 2017

It’s a crime that affects our communities every day. Experts discuss the frequency, consequences and prevention of a growing elder abuse problem. Guests: Upper Peninsula Commission for Area Progress Long-Term Care Programs Director Mark Bomberg, Retired UPCAP Quality Assurance Specialist Cathy Klintworth, Michigan State Police Community Service Trooper Dale Hongisto and Marquette County Prosecuting Attorney Matt Wiese.

MARQUETTE, MI--   The Marquette County Prosecutor's Office has dismissed mortgage fraud and forgery charges against former NMU hockey coach Walt Kyle.

Prosecutor Matt Wiese released the following statement Wednesday:

MARQUETTE, MI--   The Marquette County Prosecutor’s Office has been awarded a $400,000 grant to create an interagency approach to domestic violence. 

Chief Prosecutor Matt Wiese says the money comes from the U.S. Department of Justice’s Office on Violence Against Women.  It will be used to develop and implement the Blueprint for Safety program, which aims to make sure gaps in the system are addressed and policies are put in place to create a more effective response to domestic violence.

MARQUETTE, MI--   A special prosecutor appointed to review the shooting of Timothy Mitchell in Alger County in July says the officer who shot him will not face charges.  

Marquette County Prosecutor Matt Wiese viewed the in-car video.  He says Munising City Police Officer Justin Schlabach tried to arrest Mitchell after Mitchell led him on a high-speed chase down Highway 13 and crashed his vehicle.  With pistol drawn, Schlabach repeatedly ordered Mitchell to the ground, but Mitchell continued to aggressively advance toward the officer.  Schlabach shot Mitchell twice in the chest.