Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Fri April 26, 2013
State unemployment numbers out
LANSING, MI (AP)-- Michigan says that the seasonally unadjusted unemployment rate is down statewide and in all 17 major labor markets.
The Department of Technology, Management & Budget released the March figures Thursday, showing the statewide unemployment rate at 8.8 percent. That's down 0.4 percentage points from February and 0.8 points from March 2012.
The populous Detroit-area job market accounts for about half the state's workforce, and its unemployment rate fell down 0.3 percentage points to 9.9 percent from February to March.
The lowest rate in the March report was for Ann Arbor at 5.1 percent. The highest was for the northeastern Lower Peninsula at 13.1 percent.