Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Sun December 30, 2012
Skiing by lantern in the Porkies
ONTONAGON COUNTY, MI (AP)-- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park is offering cross-country skiing and snowshoeing by lantern light this winter.
Nearly 80 old-fashioned kerosene lanterns illuminated a one-mile trail Saturday at the park located on the south shore of Lake Superior near Silver City in Ontonagon County. The ski trail is track-set for classic skiers while snowshoers make their own trail adjacent to the lighted loop.
The trail is located off M-107 across from the downhill ski area.
The event also will be held in January and February.