Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Mon January 6, 2014
Ships collide near Straits of Mackinac
MACKINAW CITY, MI (AP)-- The U.S. Coast Guard says one of its ice-breakers sustained significant damage in a collision with a freighter in the Straits of Mackinac.
No injuries are reported. Coast Guard Petty Officer 1st class Keith Showalter says the accident happened around 10:45 a.m. Sunday. He says the location is about 20 miles west of the Mackinac Bridge.
Showalter says the 225-foot cutter Hollyhock was breaking ice when it hit a hard spot in the ice. He says the 990-foot Mesabi Miner hit the Hollyhock's stern.
He says the Mesabi Miner sustained damage to its bow. The freighter was hauling iron ore to Gary, Indiana.