Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Tue February 19, 2013
Several injured in Negaunee multi-vehicle crash
NEGAUNEE, MI-- Five people were injured in a four-vehicle accident in Negaunee Monday.
City Police say the crash happened at 1:38 p.m. at the intersection of US-41 and Teal Lake Avenue.
Officers say a westbound minivan driven by Jackie Swanson, 29, of Ishpeming crossed the center turn lane and hit an eastbound SUV driven by Ruth Kivimaki, 68, of Negaunee Township head-on. Kivimaki’s vehicle was pushed into a pickup driven by Kevin VanHamlin, 29, of Gwinn, while Swanson’s vehicle continued west and struck another minivan driven by Daryl Rogers, 39, of Negaunee.
Swanson, one of her passengers, and Kivimaki were taken to Bell Hospital for treatment of their injuries. Two other passengers in Swanson’s vehicle sought their own treatment at Bell for minor injuries.
The accident remains under investigation.