Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Tue July 23, 2013
Scammers claiming to be from BLP demanding electricity payments
MARQUETTE, MI-- The Marquette Board of Light and Power is warning customers about a phone scam.
Officials say several residential and business customers recently received a call from a “Brian” or “James”, who told them payment had to be made or their electricity would be shut off. The number originated from the Detroit area.
One business was told to pay about $2,000 or risk losing power.
Fortunately no one who contacted the BLP gave the scammers financial information or made any payments.
Marquette Police say anyone who receives such a call should just hang up the phone. The number the calls are coming from is 313-427-0362.