Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Tue July 15, 2014
Plane crashes in Portage Township
PORTAGE TOWNSHIP, MI-- A pilot sustained only minor injuries after his plane crashed in Houghton County.
Troopers from the Calumet Post say the accident happened Sunday afternoon in Portage Township. The single-engine plane, piloted by Dr. Douglas McKenzie of Hancock, was attempting a takeoff maneuver around 5 p.m. when a strong gust of wind forced the plane into the top of a tree.
McKenzie was taken to Portage Health System for treatment of minor injuries.
The Federal Aviation Administration authorized removal of the plane from the scene. The National Transportation Safety Board was also notified of the crash, which remains under investigation.