Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Search and Rescue
Thu July 11, 2013
Missing boy found safe
HOUGHTON COUNTY, MI - A Houghton County by has been found safe after going missing while berry picking. Sheriff’s deputies say the 6-year old boy walked away from his family yesterday (Wednesday) shortly after noon. After nearly 5-hours of ground and air search, the boy was spotted on a logging trail nearly 4-miles from the residence by a DNR plane. Search and Rescue units responded to GPS coordinates and located the by unharmed.
The Sheriff’s department was assisted by Michigan State Troopers and their K-9 unit, Superior Search and Rescue, Ahmeek Search and Rescue, Bootjack Search and Rescue, DNR Air Patrol, and the Calumet Township Fire Department. Numerous friends and family also assisted in the search.