Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Tue January 14, 2014
Man killed in Houghton County snowmobile accident
DUNCAN TOWNSHIP, MI-- An Illinois man suffered fatal injuries in a snowmobile crash over the weekend.
State Police from the Calumet and Wakefield Posts were called Sunday around 8:15 p.m. to Trail 8 near Kenton in Duncan Township. They say two Illinois men were westbound on their machines when a deer ran out, causing the snowmobiles to collide.
Jeffrey Vandeneykel, 50, was taken to Baraga County Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead from his injuries. The other rider is being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
The accident remains under investigation.
Troopers were assisted at the scene by the Bruce Crossing Fire Department, Duncan Township Fire Department, Bay EMS and Sonco EMS.