Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Thu July 18, 2013
Man drowns in Portage Canal
HANCOCK, MI-- The body of a Hancock man has been discovered in the Portage Canal.
Hancock police say Jason Mikkola, 33, was found Tuesday at 6:35 p.m. in the water near his family’s boat house. Police say he was last seen around 1 a.m. Monday.
Officials believe Mikkola could have fallen off a boat he was returning to the boat house. They do not believe foul play is a factor in the incident.
An autopsy is planned this week.