Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Fri June 28, 2013
Keel of new Marinette Marine LCS celebrated
MARINETTE, WI (AP)-- The U.S. Navy has celebrated the keel laying of a new Littoral Combat Ship at Marinette Marine.
The traditional ceremony for the future USS Little Rock took place Thursday at the Wisconsin shipyard, where the vessel is under construction.
During the ceremony, ship sponsor Janee Bonner authenticated the keel by having her signature welded into it.
The keel is usually the first part of a ship's hull to be constructed. Laying the keel is often marked with a ceremonial event.