Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Thu December 27, 2012
Judy Nerat dies of cancer
WALLACE, MI (AP)-- The son of ex-state Representative Judy Nerat says that the first elected female House member from the Upper Peninsula has died of cancer.
Scott Nerat said Thursday that his 64-year-old mother died Sunday. The Wallace resident was elected in 2008 but lost a re-election bid in 2010.
Nerat owned a beauty salon and first served for 10 years on the Menominee County Road Commission.
Incoming House Democratic Leader Tim Greimel calls her "a pioneer" and says in a statement that she was a "hard-working and dedicated advocate" for her constituents.
Scott Nerat says his mother was proud to be the first female representative from the Upper Peninsula "but never bragged about it." He says she "enjoyed trying to a make a difference."
Her funeral is Saturday.