Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Thu October 24, 2013
Iron Mountain 4-year-old helps downed dad
IRON MOUNTAIN, MI (AP)-- A former U.P. volunteer firefighter says his 4-year-old daughter helped save his life when she ran a quarter mile for help after he was knocked unconscious.
Chris Lucas of Iron Mountain says his daughter Cadence was with him as he was unloading scrap metal from his truck October 15 when he hit his head on the tailgate.
He tells The Daily News he doesn't remember what happened next, but says he learned Cadence ran along a dirt road in the dark to their nearest neighbor to get help.
Lucas says the neighbor called an ambulance and went to check on him. He spent the night in the hospital for treatment of a concussion and a head bump.
Lucas says Cadence learned about handling emergencies based on his own experience.