Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Sun October 6, 2013
Downstate man drowns at Keweenaw County resort
SHERMAN TOWNSHIP, MI-- The body of a downstate man has been recovered from Lake Superior off of Keweenaw County’s Sherman Township.
Sheriff’s deputies say Friday around 9:30 a.m. they received a report that Paul Francis Lempke, 48, of Eastpointe was missing. He had been camping with a friend at the Kauppi Resort and Campground on the Gay-Lac La Belle Road north of Gay. They say Lempke had gone for a walk, and was last seen on break wall near the resort docks.
The Keweenaw County Sheriff’s Office, with the assistance of Superior Search and Rescue and DNR aircraft initiated a search. Lempke’s body was recovered from Lake Superior near the docks around 4 p.m.
The Keweenaw County Medical Examiner’s Office is investigating the cause of death.