LANSING, MI-- A Department of Natural Resources officer has been honored for his lifesaving efforts.
Conservation officer Mike Evink was called to a Schoolcraft County home in January. A propane delivery man found homeowner Ronald Haug unresponsive on the floor of his garage, overcome by carbon monoxide. The deliveryman tried CPR, then made an emergency phone call before he lost consciousness.
Evink, who was 15 miles away when the call came in, maneuvered through six miles of unplowed roads to get to the house. The homeowner had no pulse, while the deliveryman was barely alive. Evink opened the garage door for fresh air and performed CPR on the deliveryman, who survived.
Evink was given the DNR’s Lifesaving Award last week in Lansing.