Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Thu January 17, 2013
Democratic response to State of the State: Snyder a "disappointment"
LANSING, MI (AP)-- The leader of minority Democrats in the Michigan Senate says Republican Governor Rick Snyder has been a "disappointment" in his first two years, favoring big business with large tax cuts while placing burdens on the middle class and ignoring the needs of the general public.
Gretchen Whitmer of East Lansing delivered the Democratic response to Snyder's State of the State address Wednesday night.
Whitmer says Snyder has disinvested in schools, hurting children and sending a message to employers that Michigan doesn't care about education.
She says Snyder should work across the aisle and cooperate with Democrats in the state Legislature. Republicans now control both the House and Senate.