Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Thu May 8, 2014
Counties added to State of Emergency list
LANSING, MI (AP)-- Michigan Governor Rick Snyder has expanded the list of U.P. counties declaring states of emergency because of winter's deep freeze.
Snyder directed the Michigan State Police on Wednesday to amend the declarations.
The emergency declaration covers Chippewa, Delta, Gogebic, Luce, and Mackinac counties, along with last month’s declaration for Marquette County.
The declarations make state aid and assistance available to affected counties. They also authorize state police to coordinate response and recovery efforts.
Snyder added six lower peninsula counties to a disaster declaration because of flooding since April 12.