Counterfeit bills being passed in Escanaba area
ESCANABA, MI-- Escanaba Public Safety is warning businesses and the public to be on the lookout for fake money.
Officers say there’s been an increase in the amount of counterfeit currency being handled in the area. Police are offering tips on spotting fake cash.
- They say the face and accompanying hologram should match.
- Counterfeiters often bleach low-denomination bills to make them high-denomination.
- Looking at a bill through light will reveal a thin vertical strip that spells out its denomination.
- Newer bills will contain color-shifting ink in the lower right-hand corner.
- Fake money will feel different from real bills.
For additional ways to detect counterfeit money, go to the Secret Service website at http://www.secretservice.gov/money_detect.shtml