Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Mon January 6, 2014
Copper Country rink celebrates anniversary
CALUMET, MI (AP)-- The Calumet Colosseum is marking its 100th anniversary with a hockey game between the teams that started it all back in 1914.
The Calumet Wolverines and Portage Lake Pioneers will skate against each other Monday night. The rivals were also on the rink on January 6, 1914, when the Colosseum opened.
The Colosseum was built during the historic copper strike. Before that, the Wolverines played outdoors.
Officials say the Colosseum and the rivalry between the Wolverines and Pioneers have withstood the test of time.