Most Active Stories
- Reed responds to her firing as NMU student newspaper adviser
- North Wind Board issues statement about controversy
- Journalists' group calls for advisor's reinstatement at The North Wind
- The Psychology of Music in Multimedia: An Interview with NMU Professor Mark Shevy
- Two-car crash in Chocolay Township claims man's life
Tue December 11, 2012
Archive fire at Tech may have been electrical
HOUGHTON, MI-- Authorities say fire at Michigan Technological University's archives that soaked hundreds of boxes of documents may have been caused by a light fixture.
Officials at the Houghton school say, however, that there is no definitive cause of the October fire. The investigation now has been closed, and the room where the fire started is under repair.
Boxes of documents, including old Upper Peninsula Mining Company records, were sent to a freeze-drying facility with hopes that they can be saved by removing moisture. Officials are hopeful that the majority of the documents will be returned to the school.
The school's archives closed following the fire. There's now a temporary service area in the library that's open some days.